Frequently ASKED QUESTIONS
1.What is an IFISA?
An IFISA is an Innovative Finance Individual Saving account. The new IFISA lets you use your tax-free ISA allowance while investing in Peer to Peer (P2P) lending, providing you with an even better rate of return.
2. What is the difference between an ISA and the IFISA’s?
Previously there has been Cash ISAs and stock and shares ISA’s. Now instead of buying shares or investing your cash, you can invest your money via Peer to Peer (P2P) lending.
3. How much can I invest?
You can pay in up to your annual ISA allowance, which is £20,000 from 6th April 2018 to the 5th April 2019 tax year or you can split the allowance across the three different types of ISA’s.
4. Who can invest in a GuarantorMyLoan IFISA?
To be eligible you must:
- be 18 years and over
- be resident in the UK
- not subscribed to another ISA of the same type in that tax year, other than by way of additional permitted investments
- not have exceeded the overall subscription limit which is £20,000 for 2018/2019
5. Can I have more than one ISA?
Yes, you can have one cash ISA, one Stocks and shares ISA and one Innovative Finance ISA. You cannot open more than one ISA in each class in each tax year. You must not exceed your overall annual ISA allowance. For example, you could pay £5000 into a cash ISA, £3000 into a stocks and shares ISA and still pay up to £12,000 into an IFISA until April 2019.
6. What are the tax rules on an IFISA?
The tax rules are the same for any ISA. Investors do not have to declare income or gains from an ISA on their tax returns unless the ISA subscription has been made void.
7. Can I transfer other ISAs into an IFISA?
Yes, you can transfer from your Cash ISAs and Stocks and Shares ISAs into a GuarantorMyLoan IFISA. When you apply online you will have the option to transfer from an existing ISAs to an IFISA.
8. How do I transfer my ISA to an IFISA with GuarantorMyLoan?
You can apply to transfer your existing ISA(s) to an IFISA online. Once you have registered and opened an account just go to the option shown ‘Invest from an ISA to an IFISA’. You will be asked to provide the details of your current provider and sign to confirm that you wish to transfer. Please remember to check before transferring that your current provider will not charge for the transfer.
9. Are there any fees to open an IFISA with GuarantorMyLoan?
No, GuarantorMyLoan does not charge a fee to invest in an IFISA. However, you should check if you are transferring from an existing ISA provider as there may be a charge to transfer to us.
10. How do I invest in an IFISA with GuarantorMyLoan?
You can apply for an IFISA online. Once you have registered and opened an account just go to the option shown ‘invest Cash into an IFISA’ on our Register to lend page.
11. Is my IFISA protected by the Financial Services Compensation scheme (FSCS)?
No, as with any money invested with Guarantor My Loan your money is not protected by this scheme.
12. What are the risks of investing in an IFISA with GuarantorMyLoan?
Last updated 30th May 2018